Bet at 5dimes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NHL Series Prices & Cup Futures

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium GWarner27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hugh613 View Post
    On a side note, I'm trying to think of another team in any other sport that consistently underachieves like the Caps. Most teams that blaze through the regular season at least get to the finals every once in a while. Off the top of my head, I'm not even sure they've ever even made it to the ECF during the Ovechkin era.
    i'd say Gonzaga until this year when they drew 16-8-4-11-7, but college and the league they play in probably kill that comparison

...been a great playoffs so far, but i think BOS is done

I thought they were done before the series started. I couldn't believe that series price.
    Tell you what, give me half what you were going to bet, I'll take you out back & kick you in the nuts & we'll call it a night.

Huge comeback win for Oil restores their confidence level.

Almost have to take a shot with Tor. Having a lot of fun watching and cheering for them anyways.

I'm confused, why are we already confirmed playing the Rangers in the 2nd round? Assuming Washington wins out, the bottom two seeds (even if you reseed by points) play one another, and the marquee matchup goes in the 2nd round?

Whoever came up with this new playoff seeding needs to be fired...

NHL gave up on reseeding a few years ago, trying to promote division rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    NHL gave up on reseeding a few years ago, trying to promote division rivalries.
    Don't get me wrong, this actually benefits us greatly as I just assumed we'd get killed by the Penguins. Still, makes no sense that in both conferences, the two higher seeds are going to end up meeting each other in the 2nd round. Kind of renders regular season positioning a bit pointless...

Guess it shows I haven't been following much as of late...

I like it

It worked out weird this year with the Atlantic being stacked

But I want more teams that have a great rivalry

Those real ones don't come until you play a team a few times in the playoffs

I don't think the NHL has had a great one since Canucks/Hawks from 2008-2013

Seems kinda fucked up to me. The only sport where 1 & 2 meet in the second round. Not sure how Washington/Pittsburgh is any more of a "rivalry" than Wash/NYR would be, all three teams are in the Metro.

I do like the NYR/Ott matchup in terms of some unders though. I envision a few 2-1 games here.
    Tell you what, give me half what you were going to bet, I'll take you out back & kick you in the nuts & we'll call it a night.

Round 2 thoughts:

Heavyweight matchup renewed in Pens (+125) vs Caps (-145). Caps have a significant edge in PP/PK numbers, Shooting %/Save % numbers, Shot differential, and goal scoring depth. Pens are competitive in blue line offense even without Letang and obviously top end talent. Naturally Pens have the psychological edge knowing they've beaten the Caps before. Caps struggled a bit against the Leafs but in Game 6 I thought their breakouts were excellent and they controlled a lot of the play. Think they can do the same here. Line has been moving steadily in Caps favor. This is Caps do or die and they've got an edge to press with Murray and Letang both out. If they can't win this........Caps and some Tums.

Rangers (-150) riding a lot of Metro division respect to be solid favorite over Ottawa (+130). I give Rags the edge in special teams and overall talent level. Neither team is great at puck possession. Karlsson might be the best skater in the series but he's at less than 100%. Rangers should win this, but I'd wait to see if Sens grab Game 1 to get some value.

Nashville (-125) as predicted gave the Hawks more than they could handle, while the Blues (-105) were a little surprising in how swiftly they dispatched the Wild, but they were at least hotter going into that series. Blues have a solid edge in special team production, but the Preds are quite deep, their blue line is exquisite and they own a nice shot differential edge. I think they're a pretty decent bargain at the current price.

Oilers (+105) and Ducks (-125) are very similar stats-wise, Oilers a little better with shot differential, but most other numbers net out pretty close. Ducks biggest assets are home ice and their experience. Oil have the McGreat One. 2nd round was the stopping point in Lemieux's first playoff season. Gretzky and Messier didn't get this far, neither did Crosby or Ovechkin. That's some serious history working against #97. Corey Perry was a killer when these two met during the season. Will nibble a little on Oilers Game 1 and see how it looks from there.

If the way the NHL pairs the playoff matchups isn't fucked up enough, now in the second round they have western games tonight then eastern tomorrow. Fucking brilliant dipshits. Instead of a game starting at 7:00 ET both nights they have two games basically on top of one another tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    If the way the NHL pairs the playoff matchups isn't fucked up enough, now in the second round they have western games tonight then eastern tomorrow. Fucking brilliant dipshits. Instead of a game starting at 7:00 ET both nights they have two games basically on top of one another tomorrow night.
    Totally agree. The scheduling & the way they pair teams is ridiculous. Rivalries in the NHL aren't dependent on the teams meeting in the playoffs. Pitt/Philly, Detroit/Chicago, Toronto/Montreal, Buffalo/Toronto NYR/NYI, Philly/NYR, Boston/Montreal ect. are rivalries based on the regular season, historical & geographical factors. How often do teams meet in the playoffs back to back years anyway? Vancouver/Chicago wouldn't make the top 50 rivalries IMO. I realize they met three times in a row between 09-11, but none were in the conference finals & only 4 of 20 games were decided by one goal. Besides, three years is too short to be considered a real rivalry. I hate the fact the two best teams have no shot at meeting in the finals. Even though that situation tends to be fluid with respect to teams rising & falling in their respective conferences, it still limits the matchups. How great would it be to have a Montreal/Toronto final (not so great for the networks), or NYR/NYI & LAK/Anaheim. There can never be a final involving the Original 6 again, unless Chicago is involved. I wish they'd go back to the format of the early 80's, when they seeded everyone 1-16 & just let them play it out.

Actually, the format isn't ridiculous, but it is very limiting.

Guessing Oilers/Ducks tonight will get pretty favorable ratings with no West Coast NBA going at the same time, plenty of sports fans out here will watch game one of an entertaining series by default...NBA will be over by 7:45 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dg84 View Post
    Actually, the format isn't ridiculous, but it is very limiting.
    I don't know, if the NCAA had it set up where the 1 and 2 seeds could end up meeting in the Sweet Sixteen, I think people would have plenty to say.

It's best case for us as we can beat the Rangers, but if you're a hockey fan, having to see Washington/Pitt in the 2nd round is pretty much absurd.

Thread Information