Bet at 5dimes
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Club 2017...

Blog Entries

Default Fat Club 2017...

Dropped 20 pounds last year and am at 190 which is a good weight for my frame. Ate/eat better, more active and less beer made it easy. My body loves me for it.

i started a couple weeks ago when I topped out at 186.5. was at 182.4 yesterday morning. back to 183.0 this morning after eating some junk last night. goal is 165.

working on cutting out 4th meal, drinking no more than a couple of pops a month, and getting to the gym a few times a week. trying to get some walking in during the day, provided the weather is ok as well.

I have ballooned. So I am in.
    Beware of El Modre. The Beast stalks in the daylight and slays its prey at night.

Started getting back in the gym a few weeks ago so I am in.

When interest rates got really low I was working 12+ hours a day all summer and it was not good for my waistline. I guess thats what happens when you start to get old

204.4 this morning. Putting myself on notice.

Was 185 on my birthday in September. This is what happens when football is on 6 days a week in the fall...

I'm in. No gym for me. I will begin to eat right. Going Paelo, I believe and may start some Les Mills workouts after I drop a few.
    Hopefully this thread will help keep me on track, I need it.
    i would like to have my Jedi figure back before the new Star Wars is out in Dec 17

I know a guy that lost a third of his body weight in 2016 by cutting out sugar. He read a few books, like Sweet Poison, to make sure he did it the right way
    "My major hobby is teasing people who take themselves & the quality of their knowledge too seriously & those who doníthave the courage to sometimes say:I donít know...." - Nassim Taleb

yeah, im trying to cut the sugar stuff way back. no bad snacks, no candy, no dessert

I'm trying to put weight back on. I'm usually running at about 200-205.

I work out and watch what I eat, but since this arthritis in my shoulders kicked in about a year ago, I've dropped almost 8 lbs. and I can see it...
    Says the "lifelong" democrat who's voted GOP for the last 39 years.

Breakfast - Granola Bar
    Lunch - Veggie Wrap - Lettuce, onion, olive, avocado, spinach, jalapeno, salt, pepper, oregano - Diet Coke(s)
    Dinner - Chicken Rice soup (Chicken broth, Rice, Basil, Carrots, Celery Salt, Onion Salt, Pepper) - Diet Coke (s) - Delicious
    Exercise - None
    Snacks- None/Pending
    Notes - Day one of Fat Club 2017. 3 or 4 diet cokes by 3pm. Need to load up on fiji water and cut back on diet coke. would rather give up steak though. Working late night. Likely bad snack at some point in the night. Do not feel guilty about it and have a good eat day tomorrow. Plan is to lose 10 pounds or so before starting to exercise given major joint issues and arthritis. So not beating myself up on lack of exercise for a few weeks, it isn't in my plan.
    Last edited by vk; 01-02-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    Beware of El Modre. The Beast stalks in the daylight and slays its prey at night.

Quote Originally Posted by cubsker View Post
    yeah, im trying to cut the sugar stuff way back. no bad snacks, no candy, no dessert
    coke "Pop" "Soda" that will be the toughest for me. I'm down to 2 7.5oz cans a day. I plan to go to 1 a day, then gradually ween off then.

Quote Originally Posted by ProV1Colt View Post
    coke "Pop" "Soda" that will be the toughest for me. I'm down to 2 7.5oz cans a day. I plan to go to 1 a day, then gradually ween off then.
    Man, all that shit is just sugar water. You don't need it...
    Says the "lifelong" democrat who's voted GOP for the last 39 years.

Quote Originally Posted by inZane View Post
    Man, all that shit is just sugar water. You don't need it...
    That is basically the only Sugar I really have. I drink coffee Black. Starbucks I order black iced coffee w/ double shot of espresso. They look @ me funny.
    But for some reason.... a 7.5oz coke 1st thing in the am works more than that drink @ Starbucks. So strange
    i have one in the am. And usually 1 w/ dinner.
    But that can of coke is so small. It's like an airplane bottle. And I have found since going to a 7.5oz can I can't even come close to finishing a 12oz and I won't even touch a 16oz bottle.
    So hopefully I stop coke period soon.

I went cold turkey on Soda a little over 2.5 years ago. I still crave it but it was a great decision.

Goal for 2017 is 13 pounds. I am a skinny-runner guy so that means going from my current 173 to my optimal weight of 160. Hope to hit that goal in a couple months. Second half of 2016 was rough. Insanely busy at work meant less running and worse eating.

cutting out the soda is weight loss gold. I used to drink about 100 ounces of Pepsi a day. Hit 200 pounds at one point. Cut the soda down to next to nothing (couple a week) and started back on the running, dropped 40 pounds in 3 months.

need to sign up for another race for extra motivation. Wife wants me to do 21 day fix, but I don't have the fortitude for that kind of diet, or really a diet of any kind

My wife has done the 21 day fix and the food prep takes up her wholeday on Sunday.

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium GWarner27's Avatar

i am 66 days into a 365-day no dessert pledge and i hate myself for it but made it through the holidays. Worst thing i've had is a cinnamon muffin

Diet is like 80% of losing weight it seems, so good luck to all on that part before thinking exercise will save you. I feel like all exercise does is keep me from eating during and before cuz i don't want to puke it up

Quote Originally Posted by GWarner27 View Post
    i am 66 days into a 365-day no dessert pledge and i hate myself for it but made it through the holidays. Worst thing i've had is a cinnamon muffin

Diet is like 80% of losing weight it seems, so good luck to all on that part before thinking exercise will save you. I feel like all exercise does is keep me from eating during and before cuz i don't want to puke it up
    Depends what you mean by 'diet'. If you mean one of those fancy diets, then I don't agree. You need a great diet and exercise to be a very healthy person, and to have that healthy look (meaning you won't have 6 pack abs or the like without both). But losing weight is simply burning more calories than you take in. That doesn't necessarily have to include dieting.

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium GWarner27's Avatar

diet aka what you eat

I don't think you can exercise enough to overcome poor eating choices

That's only to be at your healthiest. If you eat 2000 calories of shit, but burn 800 calories a day in exercise, you will lose weight. You will still have a flabby tummy and such but you will lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GWarner27 View Post
    diet aka what you eat

I don't think you can exercise enough to overcome poor eating choices
    Diet is certainly a factor, and an important one, but exercise can cover up a lot of poor eating choices. For one, your metabolism gets "kicked in/up" simply be exercising, so you'll be burning more calories simply by doing it.

Exercise burns calories...and if you're burning more than you're eating you're going to lose weight...regardless of how "healthy" those calories are.

The fasting type eating plans also work pretty well. That's where you do something like 12/12 or 18/6...so you don't eat anything for 12 hours a day, and get all of your meals in the other 12 hours, or not eating anything for 18 hours a day and getting all the meals in the other 6.

It's something I just recently read about, and realized that I've essentially been doing that my entire life. I can easily go an entire day without eating anything at all and not feel sluggish, tired, bad, whatever...and I routinely go half the day or more without eating anything...but then can eat a shit ton in one meal or over a few hours. Never did I know that it was an actual thing...but I can attest that it works.

Pretty confident that 90% is diet and 10% is exercise for weight, exercise makes you feel better. But it's all about diet. Fat chicks work out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson109 View Post
    Pretty confident that 90% is diet and 10% is exercise for weight, exercise makes you feel better. But it's all about diet. Fat chicks work out all the time.
    They also eat more than they burn. Calories in vs. calories burned...it really is that simple.

You're right, diet is important. The only point was that you can easily lose weight, or keep weight off, and not eat healthy in the least bit as long as you're exercising and burning more calories than you take in.

Agree 100%.

You can literally eat the worst food imaginable, a junk food only diet, but limit yourself to 1500 calories then you will lose more weight versus someone that exercises extensively and eats a vegan diet of 2,500 calories. It' all comes down to calories.

One of my goals this year is to by a bicycle and start cycling, believe it or not you burn more calories cycling than even cross country skiing and it's pretty easy on your knees.

I don't think it's possible for a middle aged person to exercise enough to burn more calories than they take in...maybe when I was in my 20's sure but not now in my early 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by cubsker View Post
    It's pretty good what he did. It's about removing sugar from particular sources, I think fructose
    "My major hobby is teasing people who take themselves & the quality of their knowledge too seriously & those who doníthave the courage to sometimes say:I donít know...." - Nassim Taleb

Cocaine works too (so I'm told)

But reality is that caloric intake is where you start. Great trick taught to me, and I try to drink a gallon of water a day, but before you eat a meal, drink some water. It will curb your appetite, and overeating is a killer. Water can occupy that appetite, and really you should drink a gallon a day anyway. It's the perfect thing to do to slow down your meal.

Also, crazy trick: before you eat breakfast, brush your teeth. You won't eat much...hell do it before dinner too. Healthy and shuts down the appetite.

Couple little rules I try to use, no carbs after 6pm and eat something small when you wake up in the middle of the night. I don't do 3 meals but several small ones, the hand full of nuts, granola bar, etc in the middle of the night are imperative for me.

Cocaine works too (so I'm told)

But reality is that caloric intake is where you start. Great trick taught to me, and I try to drink a gallon of water a day, but before you eat a meal, drink some water. It will curb your appetite, and overeating is a killer. Water can occupy that appetite, and really you should drink a gallon a day anyway. It's the perfect thing to do to slow down your meal.

Also, crazy trick: before you eat breakfast, brush your teeth. You won't eat much...hell do it before dinner too. Healthy and shuts down the appetite.

Couple little rules I try to use, no carbs after 6pm and eat something small when you wake up in the middle of the night. I don't do 3 meals but several small ones, the hand full of nuts, granola bar, etc in the middle of the night are imperative for me.
    Good stuff. Water is certainly a key, and one that is so easy for people to do yet they don't do it.

The carbs after 6pm (or whatever other time others use) really doesn't do much though. It's more of a myth than anything that eating later in the day prevents you from losing weight, or makes you gain weight. If it makes someone feel good and they think it works, then more power to them and they should do it, but it's more of a placebo effect than anything.

Genetics also has a lot to do with it. Some people (like me) can just eat/drink whatever they want and will just never gain weight or be "fat." Others can eat better than most, exercise enough, and still have a hard time keeping the weight off. Some just have better/quicker metabolisms than others. Obviously this isn't true of everyone, but genetics certainly comes into play for some people.

Pretty fortunate that I don't like eating, it's kinda just a thing that has to be done. Was about 200 lbs on 1/1/10 and dropped to about 150 by June that year before getting to where I needed to be, around 165/170 at the end of that year. Roller coaster but have maintained that weight since, and changing diet and the way I lived was imperative. Drink way more water than I used to, eat way healthier than I used to, and probably gonna live longer than I should :hang:

Pulling for Fat Club folks, carbs n sugars in the morning if you gotta have em...sodium is a different animal too, I think it's meant to be tackled once you get the other routines down. Fuck sodium, it's a tough one to deal with.

Not mentioned but in addition to eating, eating a lot of protein paired with a mix of cardio and lifting is really the best option. You need to build muscle to burn more calories and trying to get good amounts of protein in every meal is critical. As is getting nutrients within 20-30 minutes of a workout.

I used the MyFitnessPal app to track my food intake. You'd be surprised at how you guilt yourself into eating better when you look at the stats and you decide to eat an orange instead of a couple cookies for a snack. Most people are not disciplined enough to keep track regularly, so I would consider this a must if you are serious about losing weight (as opposed to starving yourself).

Quote Originally Posted by ProV1Colt View Post
    That is basically the only Sugar I really have. I drink coffee Black. Starbucks I order black iced coffee w/ double shot of espresso. They look @ me funny.
    But for some reason.... a 7.5oz coke 1st thing in the am works more than that drink @ Starbucks. So strange
    i have one in the am. And usually 1 w/ dinner.
    But that can of coke is so small. It's like an airplane bottle. And I have found since going to a 7.5oz can I can't even come close to finishing a 12oz and I won't even touch a 16oz bottle.
    So hopefully I stop coke period soon.
    Switch to diet coke or coke zero

Avoid low fat and most food approved by the Heart Association. Flavour is replaced by sugar, which makes it worse for you. For example,low fat peanut butter has 50% more sugar then normal PB. Just avoid trans fat

And it's all a bit more complicated then calories in < calories burnt. Different make-ups of food are processed differently. Carbs, protein and fat are all processed in different ways and at different speeds, and are each stored by the body differently. 50grms of fat is processed and stored much differently then 50grms of protein. And the body uses them differently for energy source (aerobic vs anaerobic). Learn to read a nutritional label and what each line means. Some numbers mean more then others. Eating 2000 calories a day by only eating a Big Mac meal is much different then 2000 calories from 3 healthy meals.

Also, I met a guy at a conference a few years ago called Joe Cross. He told me he made a doco called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". I watched it, and if you really need to lose a lot of weight this could be for you. It is available on Netflix
    Last edited by Alan Tongue; 01-02-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Unit View Post
    I used the MyFitnessPal app to track my food intake. You'd be surprised at how you guilt yourself into eating better when you look at the stats and you decide to eat an orange instead of a couple cookies for a snack. Most people are not disciplined enough to keep track regularly, so I would consider this a must if you are serious about losing weight (as opposed to starving yourself).
    did the app as well and dropped 40lbs last year...back to it tomorrow as I ate like shit since thanksgiving....

Good luck everyone. I did CTG fat club a few years ago and have maintained the weight loss. Don't get frustrated by weighing yourself. It took a while until the weight started falling off but once it did it was like the trump train. No brakes.

Breakfast: Granola bar
    Lunch raising Canes chicken strips with fries, toast and diet coke
    Dinner: salsa, guac and chips. Chips were awful, guac was awful. So didnt eat much. Dont eat at the mexican joint near the c gates in mccarron
    Exercise none
    Snacks airplane peanuts and wheat thins

Travel days are very tough eat days from a being healthy perspective. Mostly water today but did have diet coke late night/wee hours working and again at lunch. I am ok with the Canes. Delicious and i got a meal size smaller than normal.
    Last edited by vk; 01-03-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    did the app as well and dropped 40lbs last year...back to it tomorrow as I ate like shit since thanksgiving....
    same

have to say, i am hungry as a motherfucker at 11:30 at night. pounding the water, but it's rough.
    "If people can't control their own emotions then they have to start to control other people's behavior." -John Cleese

Thread Information